Friday, May 04, 2007

So, tell me, what do you consider to be your biggest weakness?

I've applied for many jobs and internships in my life - some of which have actually culminated into an interview and even fewer into a job offer. I've read so many job descriptions that have made me exclaim, "This is PERFECT for me!" only to never hear anything from the company. So many times I wish I could write a cover letter that truly expresses how I feel and how frustrating it is to continually face outward rejection from jobs that would ideally suit me. I decided that, if given the opportunity, I would submit the cover letter below to truly explain why I wanted a specific job. Perhaps I should actually send it in - they say you should make yourself memorable, right?
____________________________
Dear ________:

I've tried many times to adequately express just how much I would like to become the _______ at your company, ________. However, it seems that my many efforts have never actually brought a job to fruition, so I thought I would try to explain through different means just why I would be an ideal candidate for this position.

Basically, I love to write. I love politics. I love people. I love to write about politics. I love to write about people. I love to write about people in politics. The position requires someone to write affectively, succinctly and accurately. I do not know how I could better express my abilities to work for your company than through those short sentences I presented to you
above.

Sure, I could go into my work history, but it's probable you are already turned off by my public relations background. To be honest, so am I. I regret entering this field and wish you would hire me so we could both forget (and forgive) my past transgressions.

I could also tell you about my ability to lead others and work well on a team, but chances are you probably could care less since I worked for a small, weekly paper at a college you've probably only heard of through a friend of a friend of a friend.

It is important in journalism to be truthful, accurate, and pointed. I hope these three very short paragraphs proved to you that I possess those talents.

Enthusiastically,

Jodi, the Unemployed Writer

No comments: