Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Outwitting the cold

I had a thought as I was standing on the platform for the L on Monday, shivering in places I didn't think could shiver. The cold weather puts a damper on most people's moods. Not only had the Bears lost the day before, but the train we were waiting for on the red line took 30 minutes to arrive. By the time I got on my train, the only appendage I could really feel was my thumb on my left hand - and just barely.

After I had thawed out enough to think clearly, I looked around at the people on the train with me. What I saw was almost as depressing as the lunch I had made for the day. It's not that people were sad physically - they looked sad because of the coats they were wearing. Let's face it - winter is drab, drab, drab in the Midwest.

It seems people spend more time being "sensible" by purchasing winter coats that are sturdy rather than fashionable. It seems like black, beige, army green and dreary navy blue are the it colors for winter. It makes sense because who wants to ruin a gorgeous cream colored coat in a gross Midwest winter? Don't get me wrong - there are some fabulous coats out there. They just lack character. I can only take so many black coats paired with a cream colored scarf.

The other day at work, I spotted a colleague with an amazing blue coat. It wasn't a dark blue or a baby blue... but it was a rich color. She looked fabulous. I've never thought red coats were all that practical or unique, but I spotted a girl on the train with one - and it looked good with what she was wearing (she was dressed down a bit with a green hoodie underneath which contrasted perfectly with the red of the coat).

So, luckily there are a few people in the city who dare to wear something a little different. At least they won't be depressed the next time the CTA takes a billion years to actually come.

3 comments:

Meg said...

Hi Jodi,

I just wanted to let you know that I really like your blog and I appreciate that you've linked to my site. I've added you to my RSS feed and I can't wait to read more.

And I totally agree about the boring coats... as an admitted coat addict, I always cringe a little when I see a plain black peacoat... there's so much wasted potential there!

Have a great weekend!

Meg

Jodi said...

Thank you Meg!

That means a lot - especially since I enjoy your blog a great deal! I'm not the most consistent blogger - I tend to only write when I feel most inspired, but I hope you continue to enjoy what I do publish!

I hope you have a wonderful weekend (or week depending on when/if you read this) as well!

Jodi

Anonymous said...

I just found the website who reviews about
many
home business opportunity

If you want to know more here it is
home business reviews
www.home-businessreviews.com