Thursday, February 01, 2007

Purposely purposeful...

As I was walking (meandering mostly) to get to my train after work today, I was struck by a man, probably in his mid- to late-twenties. I wasn't struck for the usual reasons, although it is worth noting that he was dressed impeccably well, but rather because he was in such a hurry to get somewhere. Balancing some books and papers in his left hand and dangling a soft drink in his right, he moved quicker than most people on this cold night.

But perhaps what made me think the most was that he looked like he had a purpose... he was hurrying to get somewhere - someone, maybe - and nothing was going to stop him.

I think at one point in my life I used to be like that - everything I did was towards a greater purpose, something worth striving for.

Lately I haven't felt much of a purpose. More of a standstill. It makes me sad to think about. At one point, I was traveling through life, hanging on to things of importance. Somewhere along the way I let a brick wall stop me.

The question is - how do I climb that wall now?

No comments: