Thursday, April 19, 2007

Bringing creativity to the cube

One of the things I love about working in public relations is the creative working environment. Not only does this produce some amazing interior decorating in the office, but it also allows some leeway for more inspired dressing.

I'm not exactly adventurous in my clothing choices - I love the look of freshly ironed black pants with the simplicity of a solid-color shirt and a pair of ballet flats. Like I've mentioned before, I'm a big fan of the old standbys and don't often venture outside that realm.

However, now that I've been working in a fairly large firm (completely unconnected to this blog - I work in corporate PR, which means I have little say on the consumer end) with an abundance of snazzy dressers, I've found that my wardrobe has expanded to include some items I probably wouldn't have dared to wear before. This isn't to say that it's work inappropriate - just a little trendier than my budget normally allows. I'm not ashamed to admit that I purchase most of trendier pieces from Target or Old Navy - I'm not all about splurging on an item that will be out of date before I've gotten a chance to wear it for a second time. So, after some of my coworkers provided some great inspiration for some accesories and great versatile pieces, my wardrobe has a few more exciting things in it.

For example:


This babydoll dress from Target is more work-appropriate than some of the tank-top versions. I'm not in any way, shape or form comfortable wearing this as a dress at work (or in general), but paired with a crisp pair of fitted khakis or some timeless capri-length pants or - if you look good in them - some of those footless tights, this dress adds a little sophistication to this popular trend. And for $18, it's a much more afforable option.

I love classic button-down shirts. Nothing makes you look like you know what you're doing more than a crisp, freshly ironed shirt. Yet, I find that they can be a little boring after a while. Old Navy offers an alternative to this old standby - minus the buttons - for only $18. I've hesitated buying shirts like this before because I feared they would make me look pregnant - fortunately, this style does no such thing.

Gap also offers a fresh take on the classic white shirt - Capitol Hill Barbie offers her perspective on the new designer collection.

So, while this is only a simple take on some of the trends (from my own closest, nonetheless!) I've been tempted to try, it just goes to show that you don't have to break the bank to explore some new creative threads.

No comments: